Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Vegetable Scrap Broth

You know what's great about this recipe? The ingredients are basically FREE. I learned this awesome trick from one of my best friends, aka Martha Stewart junior. For the past week or so, I've been saving most of my scraps (herb stems, onion skins, potato skins, greens, mushrooms, leftover bones, etc) and freezing them in a gallon bag, skipping really potent stuff like bell peppers. Once the freezer bag fills up, it's time to make broth. The steps are quite simple. Place the frozen scraps in a slow cooker, fill it up with water, and add about a tablespoon of salt and a tablespoon of peppercorns. Cook it on high for about 4 hours, or low for 8 hours (I used my pressure cooker on the "stew" setting for about an hour). The finished product is a beautiful dark broth that's healthy too! When it's done, strain it and put it in some mason jars. It will last in the fridge for about an hour. It made about 3 quarts of broth.



No comments:

Post a Comment