Sunday, June 30, 2013

Pork Tenderloin and Sweet Potato Stew in the Pressure Cooker

I'll have to admit that when I initially put all of these ingredients together, I was really nervous about what the end result would be. It reminded me of a game I used to play in the kitchen as a kid - "how many random ingredients can I mix into this bowl, and how can I make it look as inedible as possible?" I was totally wrong about this one - and I knew it as soon as the delicious aroma filled up my apartment.
Pork Tenderloin and Sweet Potato Stew (adapted from this recipe)
1.5 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into chunks
1 T coconut oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1 small can of diced green chiles
2 T spicy brown mustard
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 T maple syrup
1/3 c cider vinegar
A dash of powdered ginger
1 1/2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp chili powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 c sugar
1 tsp red pepper flakes
Seasoned salt and pepper
3-4 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

1. Set the electric pressure cooker to brown.
2. Saute the peppers and onion in the coconut oil until tender.
3. Add everything except the sweet potatoes and set to "stew".
4. Bring up to pressure and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Add the sweet potatoes.
6. Bring up to pressure and continue to cook on the "stew" setting for 10 more minutes.
Tastes great on its own. Tastes extra good with a side of sliced avocado. If you don't have a pressure cooker, the same result could likely be achieved in a slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours, adding the sweet potatoes for the last hour of cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment