Sunday, June 30, 2013

Shredded Beef Tenderloin Tacos in the Pressure Cooker

I'm not particularly patient when it comes to cooking, so my slow cooker has probably been used only a handful of times in the last several years. Then, along comes the pressure cooker - I can get the same slow cooked taste in much less time. It's a gadget that I now incorporate into my meal plan each week.
I've had about some beef tenderloin in my freezer for a couple of months, and have been avoiding it for no good reason. I decided to give tacos a try, despite a quick Google search returning little to no results for using this cut of beef in a taco. My experiment churned out some incredibly tasty beef with great depth of flavor.
Shredded Beef Tacos in the Electric Pressure Cooker
2 lbs beef tenderloin cut into 4 big chunks
Olive oil
1 jar of salsa (I used Trader Joes Chipotle Salsa)
3 T coarsely chopped green garlic
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
Corn tortillas
Garnishes: thinly sliced radishes, chopped avocado, chopped cilantro, sour cream

1. Set the electric pressure cooker to brown.
2. Brown the beef on all sides in a bit of olive oil.
3. Add the salsa, garlic and jalapeno and mix well.
4. Set the pressure cooker to the stew setting, let it get up to pressure, and cook for 45 minutes.
5. Manually release the pressure and carefully remove the lid.
6. Check the meat using a fork to see if it's ready for shredding. If it's not easy to pull apart with a fork, cook for another 10 minutes.
7. Set the pressure cooker to warm. One chunk at a time, shred the beef with a fork (or you can act like you're Wolverine and use something like these).
8. When it's all shredded, add it back to the liquid in the pot and stir it up.
9. Serve in a corn tortilla with desired garnish. I used my new stand mixer attachment to slice some radishes nica and thin without using the mandoline that I furiously threw away last Thanksgiving (RIP).


No comments:

Post a Comment